I needed to prepare a single page handout which could be used to provide a basic introduction to some of the important reference material and explain how Gifted Resources can help locate services and information relating to giftedness.
My first thought was to provide a page full of QR codes for all my favourite websites with the Sprite’s Site characters playing with the blocks and building with them. However, after experimenting with QR codes that were reduced in size and finding they were not clear enough to scan, I realised that I would not be able to fit all the QR codes of my favourite sites on a single page.
So I ended up creating the page pictured the top of this post. I am happy that almost all the topics I would most want to discuss are represented in some way in the picture.
I managed to include the signpost for information Gifted Resources can provide, all the methods of contacting me plus words or pictures relating to key issues such as
- The specific educational and social/emotional needs of gifted people,
- The Columbus Group definition of giftedness as asynchronous development
- The Bell curve showing distribution of IQ levels in the population
- Gagne’s DMGT model of development of innate giftedness into fully developed talent (emphasising the importance of internal and situation influences)
- The diagram of underachievement (showing our role as teachers and parents in building a guard rail to prevent students falling into underachievement)
- Myths surrounding giftedness
- Dabrowski’s Overexcitabilities represented by the Dabrowski Dogs
In order to include more topics and give links to my favourite web sites I would need a much bigger page. I am thinking that a board game format could be very effective.
If you had only one page on which to record as many things that were important to you about a particular topic as you could how would you choose to do it?
Gifted Resources Blog has been nominated in the Australian Writers’ Centre Best Australian Blogs 2014 Competition
If you would like to vote for Gifted Resources blog (and Sprite’s Site and as many other great Australian blogs as you wish) click on the badge in the sidebar of the blog and follow the link to the Survey monkey poll. Gifted Resources Blog is on Page 2 and Sprite’s Site is on Page 4.